Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Doggy Dog World

I know it's a dog eat dog world, but I like to think our world has the potential to be better than that.. to be simply a Doggy dog world. One full of all the joys we wish for when we were young. My first memory ever is of my dad running holding me like an airplane so that I could fly over my puppy dog. It's such a beautiful memory it seems unbelievable to me. In my head everything is soft and white with a nice gaussian blur vignette on the edges. (My head must have done some nice CS3 post production)  

Matt & I have been wanting a dog for awhile, pretty much 7 years now. We always talk about "when we have a doggy" with affection. After a year of searching Petfinder.com and not committing to one, we finally found the ONE. Only problem is the lady running the organization doesn't seem very eager to get rid of him. It seems like a really small organization, 6 pets saved and the pics of the dog we want (Spencer T) he is riding in a golf cart. Hmmm..

I will not buy a dog from a pet store now that I know most pet stores buy from Puppy Mills. They have to to keep up with the demand. If you have any curiosity about the horrors of Puppy Mills, here is a link: http://stoppuppymills.org/inside_a_puppy_mill.html

So we really wanted to "rescue" a dog from a shelter, but I dont know if Spencer needs rescuing from his plush lifestyle with his foster home. I like to think he will have more of a life with us as we are younger, run all the time, and have alot of energy. I haven't heard back from the organization since we sent in our app. What makes us unworthy? 

1 comment:

  1. Yes Puppy Mills are HORRIBLE. I know first hand. because I rescued 60 dogs in 3 vans and drove them to humane societies in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. All in one day!!!'
    I will be doing a blog post about it soon.

    here is a quick clip i broadcasted while we were on the road.
    http://www.flixwagon.com/watch/609931#m606641
    and the @dogumentary twitter account I made that was auto updated with links to my broadcasts.
    twitter.com/dogumentary.

    There was one brussels griffon that I wanted to keep but he was already spoken for.... sure hope we get Spencer.

    ReplyDelete