Thursday, January 7, 2010

Why not go vegan?

So over the last months I have been joyfully discovering foods, baking, cooking, and sharing with everyone I know. I've been surprising and inspiring myself and others!

Recently, I dared my mom to taste the vegan butter "Earth Balance" and she couldn't tell the difference! And I was like "See, it's good!" I keep coming to the point, if vegan food tastes just as good, then why not choose the vegan options? If you can make small changes that don't effect you, but decrease the amount of suffering in the world, then why not.

I understand completely abstaining from eating things is hard. Part of it is breaking physical addictions and cravings, and even harder is breaking tradition and habit.

But making small changes is easy. Example, if you've tried Tofu Manicotti then you know it tastes just like Ricotta Manicotti.. so why not choose the Healthier and more Compassionate meal.

My mom has been surprised by several dishes I have made for her. Beany Enchiladas, Tortilla Soup, Chocolate Chip cookies. A vegan diet can be just as filling, comforting, nutritious and luxurious as a non-vegan diet. Everyone gobbles up the vegan cookies I make from "The Joy of Vegan Baking" cookbook, and when I tell them they're vegan they are shocked.

Overall, I don't feel deprived. I have discovered so many NEW foods. The other day I tried Curry and it is MY NEW FAVORITE FOOD. And I know I've tried it before in my life and hated it. But now it is amazing. There are so many levels of flavors to it. I really feel like I was missing out before. I feel like dairy and cheese made things bland, and made me used to bland food where I could not enjoy the wide variety and spices of delicious ethnic foods out there.

For Christmas, I gave my parents a "cook healthy" basket filled with 2 new Saute pans, 2 diet books on "Eating for Life" with a vegetarian focus, some cooking utensils, nuts etc. And today she just called me and told me she wants to try a vegan diet for 6 weeks to see if she loses weight. I'm so excited for her and I bet she will see weight loss like I did. Everyone wants their parents to live long and healthy lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment