Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Human Spirit

"The Human Spirit is an emergent property of intelligence that drives it to adapt the environment to the organism. This drive is relatively unique to humans and is progressive in that the drive allows intelligence to grow. This emergent property reveals itself in the reiteration of factors presented as obstacles to an organism, group, or society. As the complexity of these factors grows, the Human Spirit responds accordingly by creating solutions that best adapt the environment to the individual, group, or social organism." ~Wikipedia

I'm sitting here full of grief for those in Haiti. I can't sleep knowing thousands of people are trapped in buildings and suffering. But this tragedy conveys the goodness of the Human Spirit. At the core, Humans are GOOD, Compassionate, Loving, Protective, and eager to help others. In times of crisis this is so evident.

Its hard to imagine that somewhere else in the world wars and destruction are every day.

3 years ago I started listening to NPR while car pooling with a friend. I told her I didn't think I could handle listening to all of the world news. I was used to my sheltered bubble. In fact, I remember being depressed at times worrying about coal mining and the killing of seals and all the endless wars and terrorist attacks and tragedies.

Now I know to feel this pain is good. To let yourself feel this pain is to be aware and informed. And being aware creates Action. To donate, to pray, and to go and help. If a being in this world suffers then I can bear the pain of hearing their story.

No comments:

Post a Comment