Saturday, January 9, 2010

Huffington Post article

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ari-solomon/who-you-callin-vegangelic_b_290582.html

I thought this article was very interesting. I love the message.

I'm still thinking about the comment of a person not being considered vegan if they are not doing it for ethical reasons. I have to disagree. I don't believe people choices are as clear cut as that and there is no way to measure why someone might choose to be vegan.

Looking back, I realize that my own journey to veganism was a complex series of events throughout my life that opened my mind and heart to choosing this direction. And whether someone is just beginning to explore a vegan diet or is living 100% vegan, that is the path they have chosen and the lifestyle they have chosen to identify with. There is alot to be said for that. I don't think any vegan or vegetarian should be judged on the pace of their change or on their failures.. It's the DIRECTION that counts. It's the GOAL that has meaning, not just the full realization of the goal.

It is a process. In my life, I was always curious about vegetarianism and veganism, but I never understood it. When I watched the "Meet your Meat" video I cried and realized what compassion for animals meant, but before that I never knew what I needed to be compassionate about. When I read the "Skinny Bitch" book it became clear to me that the way I had been eating was truly unhealthy. These 2 events in my life along with several memorable conversations with vegetarians throughout the years sparked a huge lifestyle change.

Ever since I began a vegan diet (almost on a whim) my heart has continued to open up to the exploitation and suffering of farm animals. I've done well with switching to a vegan diet 100% and am focused on changing out my beauty products to be 100% vegan as well (not something I can afford to do all at once).

I hope that all vegans, vegetarians, and omnivores will have compassion for each other and understand that we all do our best in every way we can. If we continue to encourage each other to make positive changes then we will all be better for it. If we judge and criticize then no change will be made. I have no problem with anyone wanting to identify with being vegan or vegetarian for whatever reason -health, environmental, or ethical. In the end, the reduced consumption of animal products is the Goal and that is what will reduce the suffering of these animals.

Similarly, I would consider myself an Environmentalist, but know that I can do so much more. I still consider myself a Runner and am working on increasing my efforts in that regard too. Always aim to be the best you can be in every way you can, and the world will be a better place for it.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I hope that article didn't offend you. I thought you might like the message about vegangelical vs. veganological. I also do not agree with his statement about a vegan's motive.

    And it is all about being "less bad" as stated in "Cradle to Cradle" by William McDonough People have to start somewhere though! :)

    Oh and I have found a soap that might work for you. Just this week I have learned a lot of stuff about products that I don't think I should share because its already driving me mad.

    Ignorance is bliss, but knowledge is righteous!

    ReplyDelete