Sunday, January 3, 2010

Introducing..

The Mini-Chilada!

This is truly an exciting moment here. I was making one of my favorite vegan dinners- Bean Enchiladas and decided to fry up some mini-enchiladas with the leftover mixture. My enchilada recipe evolves every time I make it, each time closer and closer to my ideal enchilada (and each time a little more complex). Here are the details for both:


Double Bean Enchilada w/ Green Chile Sauce-
1) SAUTÉ - Chopped onions, Chopped Cilantro, Red Bell Pepper, and crushed, fresh Garlic in Olive Oil--- Set aside
2) MIX (in bowl or in Saucepan on Low-Med) - 1 Drained can of Black Beans, 1 can Rotel, 1 can Vegetarian Refried Beans ---Set aside
3) FRY - Big Size Corn Tortillas in Smart Balance brand Vegetable Oil in a skillet. I was brave this time and added a couple drops of lime juice with each tortilla. BE Careful! The Oil gets really spitty with the lime added. Ouch! I guess we could just sprinkle lime juice into one of the mixes.
4) ROLL EM' - Ideally you'll have a handsome helper with you to roll the enchiladas with the ingredients in the middle as you keep frying the others. You can also choose to add in Vegan Cheese like Tofutti American slices in the middle, or on top.
5) TOP EM'- At this point you can either simply POUR the Green Enchilada Sauce directly on top of the rolled enchiladas in the pan OR you can try thickening the sauce on the stove with a tsp of Corn Starch. I also have added a dash of Nutritional Yeast for a little more of a cheese flavor. Yum! Black Olives are a nice touch too.
6) BAKE IT- 350F till you can't stand it any longer. Update- I just got mine out after 45min and that seemed to be a little too long.

Mini-Chiladas
It's a Sunday evening and I'm waiting for Matt to get home so we can eat this yummy food. The full enchiladas are cooking in the oven and I'm staring at the leftover bean mixture and some smaller size corn tortillas. So of course, I decide to FRY EM UP!

DIRECTIONS:
Cut corn tortillas in half and FRY in same pan. Flip once. Drop a small dollop of bean mixture making sure not to spill onto the pan. Using tongs and a fork, Roll or Fold as tightly as possible in the pan. Take out and set aside to cool.

The picture above is the last mini-chilada left..(yes I ate the rest) waiting for Matt to eat him when he gets home..

1 comment: