Monday, August 24, 2009

A Weekend of Affirmation- Dallas to Saginaw to Wylie to Highland Village & back


This weekend was a wonderful affirmation of what I am doing and why. 

Friday- I went on a lovely double date to the famed Vegetarian restaurant in Dallas named Cosmic Cafe. We started with an Indian sampler appetizer with Nan bread and Hummus and Samosas. Yummy, yummy, yummy. I then ordered the Trinity Tacos, which were amazing and was way too much to eat. Matt ordered a pizza that had Black Bean burger crumbles and has told me several times how much he liked it. Yeah. 

Saturday- We woke up early and were off to visit Matt's parents and to introduce our doggies. This is Spencer intently studying the Texas landscape and loving the wind in his hair. The dogs met and didn't kill each other so I guess that could be a success. The good surprise for the day-- Matt's mom had planned an amazing vegan meal for me. She went to the store and got my favorite Tofutti American cheese and found some Black bean tamales and refried beans. I had an enormous plate complete with guacamole. It didn't stop there either. She had a special desert just for me- a vegan brownie with Rice Dreams Ice cream. Oh ya and cantaloupe. I was truly astonished. I haven't expected anyone to accommodate me but she did without me even asking. Thanks 2nd mom! I'm soooooo lucky. 

I'm realizing now that for the most part everyone is very accepting and does not try to convince me to eat differently. I think it helps that I do not try to change what others eat. Mutual respect is key. If someone asks then I will be happy to share what I have learned. The blog will remain my vegan outlet- the one place I can share with everybody and nobody all at the same time. Alot like leaving your diary in the lunchroom as a kid--it never happened to me, but I am very familiar now with that uneasy feeling. 


Sunday- was supposed to be my official Leesha Crocker day. I was going to clean the whole house, do all the laundry, grocery shop, and cook meals for the whole week. Instead, Spencer and I rode off to Wylie, Tx to visit with my parents and grandparents. We drove in my grandpa's antique WWII jeep to the marina and then Spencer got to go on his 1st ever Boat Ride! He was really enjoying it and spent the whole time with his head over the edge looking at the water. 

Spencer is my biggest affirmation of why I am doing this. I can tell when he is sad, lonely, excited or bored. He eagerly greets us in the morning and when we come home after work, with exuberant tail wags and hugs. He also yelps when he is in pain and barks when he is scared. I believe that animals are more like us humans then we want to believe. No they don't talk or think deeply about their finances; but they have emotions and the ability to feel pain both physically and emotionally. I often look at Spencer and wonder how a pig or cow or chicken could be that much different. They also cry out when in pain and express emotion in their actions. They too are SENTIENT- living, conscious, & aware. 

My grandma also told me that when she was growing up on the farm they hardly ever ate meat because they couldn't afford it. She said they had beans and vegetables at almsot every meal and then said "Maybe that's why we were so healthy" In her days obesity, cancer, and heart disease were rare. I told her that I am pretty much eating how she grew up eating- Fruits + Veggies + breads + nuts + water. They all have the vital nutrients we need to survive. 

Monday- A quick snippet-- At my early morning photo shoot- took a step backwards while looking through the camera to get the perfect shot--AND walked right off of someone's driveway and fell into this concrete ditch, camera gear and all. Everyone rushed to help me and were deeply concerned.. they were even having me bend my arms and make sure I didn't break anything. It was truly embarrassing, but so typical of me. I ended up with a scratch on my elbow, a cut on my pinky toe, a headache & wet, muddy clothes. Thats it!

I got home and started thinking about how many people break their ankles or wrists during normal falls. I consider this a reaffirmation that I am healthy & strong. With my girliest cheerleader cheer !Go vegan! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Best blog post yet!!! I am so proud of u honey for contributing to something u feel strongly about. Keep it up! The internets vegan movement needs You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alicia! This is Karen, Elizabeth's old friend from UTA. I found a link to your blog from Elizabeth's and see you are now vegan! Congrats! I think when we met I was still vegetarian... I've been vegan now for 6 years. Best of luck to you, let me know if you need any moral support, restaurant suggestions, or a lunch buddy if you find yourself in the Austin area- which is where I'm at now.

    -Karen
    karen@karennaomi.com

    ReplyDelete