Friday, October 23, 2009

The Seed of Knowledge

I've been doing alot of self-reflection and even overcame a vegan breakdown. 

I was dealing with a very stressful week and the resignation of my favorite co-worker and the need for "comfort food" hit hard. My mind frantically could not think of anything vegan I could eat that would fix the distress I was in. As soon as the thought of just breaking down and eating a Chic-Fil-A sandwich popped into my mind, I called Matt and told him what I was contemplating. Any my meat-eating, bar-b-q-ing husband listened, and encouraged me to stick to my decision and reminded me how much I would regret that break down. And it worked! I immediately drove somewhere else, ate a healthy lunch, and returned to work a little less stressed after communicating with Matt all of my frustrations.. In fact, I'm sure I felt less stressed than if I had used food for comfort. 

I'm deeply embarrassed to even admit that I had that struggle because for the most part I have had deep resolve to stay with this vegan lifestyle. But, I do think its important to share my weaknesses and my struggles. I feel stronger now for overcoming that moment.

And so I've done alot of looking back at what brought me to today, to this positive change. Why am I doing this? What truths can I hold onto for future support? What seed was planted that truly encouraged this growth?

I've known a handful of vegetarians and vegans throughout my life, but I never truly understood why they were doing it. I heard there reasoning, but it never really sunk in. Or I never let it sink in. I'm sure I was very closed to hearing the truth. So looking back there is 1 defining moment that opened the door. The moment that started this growth was when I first saw the "Meet your Meat" video by Peta. I could barely watch it and was truly disgusted. I remember I didn't eat meat for about 3 days and I cut back on eating pork drastically. Through that video I felt intense compassion for the suffering of the baby piglets.. They undergo castration with no pain medication. (Men literally pull their testicles off) It's disgusting, and with their peachy skin and chubby legs, it's very difficult not to make the connection with human babies. No doubt it has got to be excrutiating pain

That was about a year ago. And I was able to push back everything I had seen until I read the "Skinny Bitch" book. I think now, that hearing a logical and healthy reason to quit eating meat was just that extra reason I needed to make such a huge change.

I think it's important to share this information. I had to let it sink in that ALL animals have the ability to FEEL PAIN. I also know now that the footage does not just reflect one time offenses, but is the EVERYDAY process that these large factories use. (Even the "free-range" & "organic" varieties) It's tough to watch and I still have to take breaks while watching it. 

Beyond the suffering standpoint, I think its disgusting that these sick and often dead animals are still processed for eating. No wonder we have recalls and diseases spread from eating animals, meat essentially is the dead carcasses of sick animals. Because of the destructive environment these animals grow up in they are treated with large doses of antibiotics to try to keep them from getting too sick and we then consume those same antibiotics, toxins, pesticides, etc.

(Recommend watching this alone at home)
Meet your Meat Video:

2 comments:

  1. I am happy that Matt talked you out of Chick-fil-a. Vegan or not, fast food is the devil!!!! Not only is it bad for our bodies, its bad for our cities and our relationships. Meaning...have you ever seen a nice chick-fil-a? One that contributes to the urban environment, our cultural history, addresses pedestrians? Box stores encourage driving and pitiful landscapes and bring the mom and pop shops down. And just look what these places do the american family. No one sits down for dinner these days. We get fast food and eat it in front of the television or in our cars. Reminds me of Wall-E. Anywho...thats my rant. I eat fast food sometimes. And I enjoy my target outings. So I am guilty too...just wanted to share my beef with modern society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You shouldn't feel embarrassed for having a moment of weakness; we've all been there early on (at least, I know I have!). I think it's great you were able to reach out to your husband for support on this issue.

    If you are truly dedicated (and it seems to me that you are), moments like these will gradually lose their power and before you know it, your idea of comfort food will be a tasty vegan meal!

    ReplyDelete