Sunday, November 8, 2009

I'll pass on the PCOS

A year ago a doctor finally diagnosed me with PCOS. 

At that time I had quit the pill and gone 6 months without a period, (and no migraines). It was such a relief to finally have a name to what was going on and to have answers to symptoms I had dealt with as a teenager too. When I was 17-19, about every other month I would have sudden piercing pain on my lower right side below my belly button.. I would vomit for a full day, hyperventilating and not be able to leave the bathroom. After SEVERAL tests, drinking Barium and such, my gyno at the time had told me that I had cysts that were rupturing and it was completely normal in runners. His answer was to put me on the pill. Migraines begin.

Fast forward to last year, a new gyno verifies that what I have is called PCOS and that I do have cysts, lots of them. Her answer is to put me on the pill. Migraines begin again.

6 months ago I took myself off the pill again. Ironically it was about 6 months ago that I also began my vegan diet. This time I feel so much better.. I have a normal cycle, no vomiting & a decrease in migraine strength. 

So the other day I'm telling my mom that I think I cured my PCOS and she's like "Ya, it says online that PCOS sufferers should avoid eating beef & cheese, and increase eating fruits & vegetables, etc." Like DUH! Did I instinctually know this?

Anyway, feeling good.. but going to schedule a checkup to make sure I'm cysts free. What a miracle this would be.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad the diet cured you! I emailed you a lettuce wrap recipe you could possibly use. And I am also making stuffed bell peppers this week with rice, beans, corn, tomato.

    ReplyDelete