Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Details

Half a year! I've been on a vegan diet for half a year. Woohoo! 

It's so 2nd nature to me that I don't have to worry or think about it much now. I have pretty much perfected avoiding animal products in food. And then today, I fell into a non vegan situation. I was cooking my lunchtime soup in the kitchen with my coworker when I noticed that this particular soup had egg in the pasta. Normally, I would have just thrown it out and gone to get something else.. but I haven't admitted my veganism to my coworkers, so I had no reason to do so.. I was trapped. So here I am holding this bowl of soup and getting grossed out at the thought of chicken reproductive products in my soup.... and I went back to my desk and ate around the pasta in the soup. 

I'm not going to beat myself up about it, but I need to come clean at work, for my own sake. And I hope it will be soon.. but then I think is it really worth it? It's such a personal decision in my life I don't feel like being confronted about it when I can't argue back. 

So its the details that get me, every time. Like the Morning Star Farms corny dogs that I thought for sure were vegan and blogged about them. How embarrassing! And then I missed the note about eggs in the Quorn brand mock meats too. And there was that time that I had jello, another time I had honey, and probably some times when I thought for sure it was vegan and it wasn't. 

It's not about being perfect. It's about filtering out the unnecessary suffering, the unhealthy, and the disease causing waste in my life. I'm also trying to avoid high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, caffeine, and other toxins.

However, I do feel that once you make allowances for yourself then those allowances start to grow and take over. Isn't that how all diets fail? So perfection is what I strive for but the ultimate goal is to do the best I can to be healthy, to be cruelty-free, and to be good about every decision I make in life.  If that is my goal and Im doing my best then I am happy with myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment